I know, I get it. There are many reasons to be in a cranky mood right now.
It’s winter. It’s raining. It’s freezing.
Your to-do list is a mile long.
The amazing Mary Tyler Moore (R.I.P.) sadly just left this world.
You know who is making headlines. Sorry, it’s not my thing to talk politics here (or at the dinner table).
But if you stop for a moment, without checking your feed, breathe (and breathe some more), you may realize there is a reason or two to NOT be a total crank. To not put everyone around you in an even crankier mood.
Even in winter. When it’s effing freezing.
Embarrassingly enough, this truth came to me while recently binge-watching the HBO series, The Leftovers. You could call it my “cotton candy for the brain” after the kids go to bed. Let’s just say when you’re the only one up at 10:30 p.m. watching this show and your husband (and the dogs) are simultaneously snoring, you tend to put things into perspective.
So here it is…
My list of reasons to de-crank and crack a smile this winter:
- Just be effing grateful to be alive.
- You never know when those around you will suddenly disappear, without a trace. (OK, I get it, The Leftovers is a fictitious show.) But you NEVER KNOW. That alone should put a pig-eating grin on your face.
- Things may be crazy right now, but it’s not like we live among monsters and have to run from them every morning just to get a stinking coconut.
- The Zombie Apocalypse is not real.
- And even if it was real, you’d still have an opportunity to pick up an adequate supply of clean water, food (and axes).
- Do you have a roof over your head? A way to pay the bills? Grin.
- Do you have your own teeth? Smile for crying out loud.
- Do you have access to wine? Beer?
- Chocolate chips? Cashews? M & Ms?
- I recommend pouring #8 into a glass, then carefully combine ingredients from #9 into a small mason jar, shake it up, and binge-watch something after everyone goes to bed!